During college, there was a major shift in my life, and I can trace it back to one thing: A little fat notebook. I would write down any encouraging quotes, wise thoughts and took diligent notes during sermons. Every day before work, I would read the highlighted notes at red lights and in the parking lot before walking in. What I looked back later and learned, was that “I” set the tone for my day. When I read the encouraging notes, I would walk around positive and encouraged no matter what happened around me. I simply controlled my environment. But the days I would skip my notes, sure enough, I would let someone else’s actions result in my bad attitude. I was purposeful for setting the tone of my day and retraining my thoughts.
“Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words.
Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.”
- An average person with clear goals will run circles around a genius who is not really sure what he/she wants.
- Have a map. Plan a course of where you’re going.
- Set your baseline standards for what you’ll accept for your life because it’s all too easy to slip into behaviors and attitudes and even a quality of life that’s far below what you deserve. Set and live by these standards no matter what happens.
- The difference in the results that people produce comes down to what they’ve done differently from others in the same situation.
- Different actions produce different results. Any action is a cause set in motion and its effect builds on past effects to move us in a definitive direction. Every direction leads to an ultimate destination, or our destiny.
- “What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.” -Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- Decision = Cutting off any other possibility
- What proceeds our actions is our decisions.
- Your destination will be based on your decisions versus how you feel.
- Decide what you will focus on.
- If there is no new action, you haven’t really made a decision.
- Make a commitment in your decisions v/s stating a preference.
- His whole life changed when he determined not what he would like in his life or who he wanted to become, but when he decided who and what he was committed to having and being in his life.
- Make commitments not excuses.
- “The moment one definitely commits ones self, then providence moves too.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” -Winston Churchill
Will today be the day you finally decide that who you are as a person is much more than you’ve been demonstrating?
I would love to know what books, audiobooks, etc. motivate and inspire you! Please leave a comment below.